Spoiler Alert for Season 8 Episode 2 of Game of Thrones
Let’s reflect on what wisdom the 7 Kingdoms have to offer your organization.
FarWell Senior Advisors identify some key strategy and execution, and organizational design takeaways in Season 8 Episode 2 of GOT. Learn how to address conflict and build alliances to achieve goals.
Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 2: Business and Leadership Takeaways for Organizations
Strategy and Execution Insights
- Destroy the Night King to see if his followers fold
- Bran Stark agrees to be bait to pull Night King in
The team has a stand up to determine the way forward
Manage the organization’s resources
“We need every man we can get” Jon Snow approves Jaime Lannister to join the fight against the White Walkers.
Gendry places a high value on creating Arya Stark’s weapon.
Identify your goals
“All my life, I’ve known one goal. The Iron Throne.” Daenerys (Dany) Targaryen
Check in with self-awareness
- Bran “I’m something else now”
- Samwell Tarly gives family sword to Jorah Mormont because Sam can barely lift it
Lead with humility
“I’d be honored to serve under your command if you’ll have me” Jaime offering to report to Brienne of Tarth, after years of disrespecting her
Proceed with courage
- Winterfell residents step up to become soldiers
- Little girl wanting to fight like her brothers
- Bran agreeing to be “bait” for the Night King
Stay on task with determination
- Sansa Stark and Dany talking about what happens next-“I take the Iron Throne” -Dany, “What about the North? -Sansa”
- Lyanna Mormont convincing Jorah she will be fighting
Jaime apologizes to Bran for pushing him out a window
Forgive and move forward
- Dany, Bran and Sansa forgive Jaime
- Jorah reminding Dany that she forgave him for past digressions
- Dany forgiving Tyrion Lannister for his mistakes
Bran forgives Jamie
Organizational Design Insights
Right-Fit Roles & Talents
- Jaime under Brienne of Tarth instead of leading
- Jorah convincing Dany that Tyrion is the right person to be Hand
- Little girl assigned to the crypt
- Tyrion sent to crypt to preserve his talent
- Sam staying with his family
Qualify and vet your partners
Brienne of Tarth vouching for Jaime
Diversify your team.
- Sansa and Dany as strong leaders
- Tormund Giantsbane, Jaime, Tyrion, Podrick Payne, Davos Seaworth and Brienne of Tarth creating a diverse culture
7 EQ Attributes of High Performing Teams:
- Sansa trusting Brienne
- Dany trusting Jon
Jaime knighting Brienne of Tarth
Brienne of Tarth gets her just recognition
3. Love, Caring
- Dany explaining to Sansa that she followed Jon’s lead due to her love for him.
- Grey Worm makes post-battle plans with Missandei
- Arya and Gendry
4. Have Fun, Humor
- “The things we do for love” dig by Bran
- “As if we needed any more signs the world was ending” -Eddison Tollett speaking about Sam’s participation as a soldier in the upcoming battle
- “This goes beyond loyalty, this is about survival” -Jaime Lannister
- Kingdoms uniting to defeat the White Walkers
- Jorah describing Tyrion’s mistakes: “He owns them and learns from them”
- Sansa saying to Dany “I should have thanked you the moment you arrived. That was a mistake.”
Theon Greyjoy coming back to fight for Sansa
Open up channels of communication
Sansa and Dany discuss change strategy
Approach challenges with candor and transparency.
- Jaime being candid about Cersei’s position
- Jorah being candid about his heart being broken by not being named Hand
- Sansa and Dany with a candid conversation
- Jon Snow Dany know about his lineage
- Arya and the Hound being very direct with one another
Set clear expectations
“Cersei still sits on the throne, if you can’t help me take it back, I’ll find another Hand.” Dany to Tyrion’
The rest of the season is sure to bring more insight from our favorite characters.
About FarWell Advisors
The FarWell team specializes in process optimization and improvement, portfolio, program and project management, and change strategy and implementation with organizations looking to thrive in their ever-changing industries.
Watch our Change Navigator Video or set up a meet and greet with a Senior Advisor by completing the form below: